Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Peace, Love and Go USTe!

Ahh... the drumbeats of school spirit are still banging in my head. I like.

Bhubhu and I watched the UAAP opening last Saturday at Araneta. I wasn't that excited at first, I mean I've watched nearly a dozen uaap openings, it is just an hour long of dance performances, a few speeches, the parade of players and their awkward pledge of something (sportsmanship?), and UST receiving the trophies for junior and senior over-all championship. Good thing UST would be playing in the second game. Mostly, I'm just thrilled to see Araneta for the first time. (I know, it's so probinsyana but until Bhubhu went to UP, Quezon city was so foreign to me!)

Anyway, I totally did not anticipate the eight school bands being there. I know they would be there, it is the opening ceremonies afterall, I just did not expect how intense it was that they are all there( I'm not sure but I did not feel the presence of Ateneo). It was fun. The UE band was banging non-stop, the FEU cheerers were entertaining with their movements and it was totally fun to see the UP gallery imitating them(OK, including me, it was so cute!)

So, the ceremony started and I must say, it must be the best opening I've watched. It was totally smooth, no awkward moments, very entertaining and really innovative. So snap snaps for UP. (Bhubhu said it would have been more fun if they set the UP president on fire. She doesn't like her and her TOFI policies.) Anyway what I liked best were the parade of the players, which included players for different disciplines and not just basketball, and the pledge which is taped; effectively eliminating the awkwardness of reciting it live by someone who is not a good speaker in any way. But my favorite part is when they awarded the trophies to UST and the whole gallery went "go uste", that cheer has strong unifying powers. hehe.

Moving on to the first game, its FEU vs. Adamson. By this time, Bhubhu and I left the UP side and went to UST(we are totally going to have problems come cheer dance time.) I wanted to cheer for FEU since I know they are the better team but Bhubhu suggested to cheer for ADU, the underdogs for a change. I looked forward in imitating the FEU cheerers but I realized that I know the ADU chants better so Lets Go Falcons, Lets Go! It turned out to be an exciting game, FEU was leading for the most part then Adamson grabbed the lead on the fourth and it really looked like there would be an upset but FEU drilled a 3, ADU made some mistakes on dealing with it, seriously they should not have gone for a 3, a 2-point goal would be OK, after all everybody loves overtime. So FEU won, but still, it was very exciting; ADU deserves some snaps.

And now, my growling tigers entered the court. I really love this team. I don't have a crush in any one of them, but I love them.(OK, I think Mirza is handsome, not pretty boy like Ababou, but gwapo, model-gwapo, but that is a totally different discussion.) It was actually thrilling to see them. You see, it wasn't thrilling to see them in school, they're tall so you almost always notice them but it doesn't have the giddy effect. But then again, when I was in school they were not champions so they were not that popular and it was a different team really (their free-throw stats would definitely tell you they are a different team!) Anyway, the last time I watched a live game was in my first year so it was a really long time ago and in Makati Coliseum (I even had to drag my brother from his thesis so we can watch the game.) as I've said Araneta Cubao was not really part of my world. Argh...but it was so intense, I was shouting and moving for 2 hours straight. I don't think I have ever shouted that much my whole life. It's really different when you have the drum line behind you and a thousand or so people shouting with you, your adrenaline shoots up to the roof, unlike at home when it was just me and Bhubhu yelling at the TV, sometimes its just me. I want to do this again! Can't wait to do this again.

So, UE won. Big deal, they still would not win the championship anyway. But man, Jervy Cruz is really good. 26 points, no fouls, wow! Japs is doing better at free-throws and Ababou is really stepping up. But Mirza, hon, where were you? He made what, two points? I think he was the missing ingredient why UST lost. And Francis Allera, he reminds me of Vizcarra and Luanzon, he is not consistent and makes too much unnecessary fouls (then again, I am not a basketball expert), he is just, I don't know not at par with Ababou and Mark Canlas, I don't think he playing up to his full potential. I have yet to take him seriously. Argh, I hope he'll do better. I hope they would all do better. They did good, but they need to do better, a lot of teams are very strong this year. C'mon guys! More Roar!

and please, please, please do not lose twice to Lasalle or Ateneo and under no circumstances should you lose to UP, NU or ADU please. Just make us proud. Stay away from injuries and don't neglect your studies. It is so demoralizing when someone sits out a whole year because of academic problems. So make sure that doesn't happen again.

this piece totally lacks direction and continuity, I know. I don't care, I'm happy.